Mr. Andrade's Webpage
Mr. Andrade's Webpage
Aaron Cohn Middle School
Chorus Syllabus 2017-2018
SGT Matthew Andrade Choral Music Director
Andrade.Matthew.C@muscogee.k12.ga.us 7352 Garrett Road, Columbus, GA 31820
Aaron Cohn Middle School aims to provide a safe learning environment for all students. WITH PRIDE
Course is designed to provide students with many opportunities to experience many different styles of choral music. Performances include both on-campus and off-campus venues.
They will develop strong musicianship skills including note recognition, understanding rhythms, performance etiquette, and vocal techniques. This class is in alignment with the National Music Education Standards, as well as the Georgia Performance Standards. From time to time, I will incorporate music from a variety of religious backgrounds and different languages which encompass a diversity of ethnic cultures. Concert music WILL also include BOTH secular and sacred music.
Participation includes, but is not limited to: Good posture, vocalizing, sight-singing, learning choral literature, discussion of theory and musicianship, attitude, and following classroom expectations. Non-participation will result in a zero for the day. A parent note is required for a student to be excused from singing.
Chorus Concerts/Performances and Rehearsals
Chorus is a performance class that is taught during the school day. Most performances and extra rehearsals are held outside of the school day. One hundred percent attendance at rehearsals and performances is mandatory. In Chorus every voice is important and essential to the overall quality and unique sound of each group. A performing group cannot develop fully as a team if even a few members are missing.
Written assignments include, but are not limited to: bell work, classroom assignments, projects, quizzes, and tests. Students are required to maintain a calendar, (school planner), with dates of all choral activities and assignments. All chorus students are to keep a BLACK CHORAL MUSIC 3 RING BINDER. All written assignments and information materials will be kept in this binder as well as sheetmusic.
Chorus Classroom Expectations
1. Students are expected to report to class on time. A student reporting late to class without a pass in their agenda will be noted on the attendance roster.
2. Students are expected to bring their black 3 ring binder and a writing utensil with them to class EVERYDAY. Student music binders should contain any music, notes, or handouts from class and graded papers. If other special materials are needed, students will be informed at in advance.
3. Students are expected to be respectful to the teacher and fellow classmates at all times.
4. Students are expected to participate in each class.
Learning today-Leading tomorrow!
5. Students are expected to place their personal belongings in the desired areas in the classroom.
6. The instruments and other materials used during Chorus/music class are school property and are to be treated as a textbook. If any of the materials are damaged or destroyed, the student will be expected to pay for the replacement.
7. Consumption of food, candy, drinks or gum WILL NOT BE TOLERATED IN THE MUSIC ROOM. Any student seen with any of these items will be documented.
8. NO ELECTRONIC DEVICES WILL BE USED AT ANYTIME!!! This includes but is not limited to cell phones, iPods, mp3, pagers, and beepers.
9. Keep the music room neat and tidy by taking personal responsibility for your belongings and picking up any trash they may leave behind.
10. Mature and positive behavior is expected at all times.
If all of the expectations are met and exceeded, then we will have a positive and safe learning environment.
Repeated and/or excessive discourteous behavior may result in me contacting parents, detention after school, loss of participation points, and/or a discipline referral to the office.
Since chorus is a performance based course, students are required to attend all chorus concerts. In the case of an emergency or illness, a parent should contact Mr. Andrade as soon as possible. Parents will be notified well in advance of each performance date in order to plan effectively.
The following dates are already approved for the 2017-2018 school year. If any future dates are added, announced, or corrected you will be notified as soon as possible.
For Concerts, that all students are to required to participate, the attire for girls is Black Short sleeve dress that comes down past the knees with black shoes and black hose. Boys will wear black dress pants with black socks and shoes with white button down shirt with Orange Tie and black vest. Start collecting these clothing items now because there will be no excuses accepted day of performance of why you don’t have the proper attire.
The best way to contact me is via e-mail at the address listed. I will respond within 24 hours. We always welcome parent volunteers! If you are interested in helping, in any way, please let me know. There are many opportunities for you to be involved.
Learning today-Leading tomorrow!
PLEASE SIGN AND RETURN THIS PAGE BY WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 09, 2017.
I have read the given information and understand the requirements and regulations of the Chorus Program at Aaron Cohn Middle School. I understand that this is an important part of my child’s education and will help them to become a well-rounded individual.
I have read the given information and understand the expectations of Mr. Andrade. I will do my best to rise to the challenge of the Aaron Cohn Middle School Chorus Program.
Student’s Name___________________________________ Student Grade Level____
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of the course schedule, and the basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes, or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the "Edit" link at the top.